Monday 4 April 2016

BABIES AND BOOKS: DEVELOPING A HABIT!

Hello mommys!
I'm back with Mommy Mondays! :)
This week is about Babies and books.
If you are anything like me.. half of your life was spent reading. And I think in this age nothing beats a good old book, I still prefer a book to all these tablets etc. In fact my idea of a small vacation is a good novel and some snacks to go with it... and woosh I'm off :D
Now I want my LO to be just as BIG if not more of a bookworm. So today I'm going to tell you guys how I'm planning to start her up on reading. :)

BABY BOOKS:
I got Abihas baby books when she was just 2 months old. Yes I'm that crazy lol.
There's a whole market full of these to choose from. I personally think 3 types are perfect as first books.
1) Cloth/Plastic books:
These are perfect for bath times and also for your little ones to nibble on. Because that's what they will be doing most of the times lol.
2) Touch-Feel books:
These are very stimulating for LO. They have small patches etc. With different fabrics which helps the little one feel and identify different textures.
3) Board books:
Again these are very good in terms of staying put. These come in small sizes which is easy for little ones to handle and also come in titles like "animals" or "things" etc. Full of colourful pictures. So they are actually really good for learning.
I believe sound books can also be introduced once your LO gets an idea of what they mean.

THE RIGHT AGE:
I think that depends parent to patent but I believe introducing books from 6-8 months onwards yields the best result. Yes they will mostly be used for chewing etc.  But just get your little one used to the idea of a book. And introduce them to the concept of reading.

DEVELOPING A HABIT:
Remember the first 2 years is the age when your LO starts forming their habits and personality. It might seem useless reading to someone who is interested in chewing down the book instead but believe me it's working.
Make a routine. . Before bedtime or evening. Read to them from the book, point things out.. animate, make animal noises, vehicle noises etc. Act it all out.
Get your little one all excited for reading time.. and before you know it, they will actually be looking forward to it everyday.
Remember stay at it.. persistence is key. And I'm sure your LO will turn out to be a cute little bookworm :)
Reading is not only the most attractive and best habit.. It also stimulates mind.. and is extremely important for excelling in life.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he one. The man who never reads, lives only one.
*George r.r. martin

Do you agree with my tips..? Did I miss something? Please leave a comment and let me know. Would love to hear from you.
Stay happy mommies.. much love to all your munchkins.
Regards,
Dr. Mom Chef xx

2 comments:

  1. Awesome tip! I want to start book reading for my boy who just turned 6 months MASHALLAH se but I cant seem to find cloth or plastic books anywhere :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're from Pakistan. Check liberty books :)
      And thank you <3

      Delete