Sunday 20 March 2016

ADVICE ON BABY'S TALKING SKILLS.

Hello readers! It's Mommy Mondays today! Recently Abiha started saying "Mamma" so I'm kind of star stuck at the moment. :D
She turned 8 months old yesterday. So I thought to write a few pointers that'll help you with your little ones Talking skills.

I started talking to Abiha since she was little, not even 2 weeks old. Yes I used to baby talk.. but mostly it was like normal conversation. Now that she's old enough I try to avoid baby talking and using wrong words or tutlana, rather I talk to her like I would talk to any other person. Of course the tone is softer and even musical at times :) for e.g if she's crying. . I would ask her,  what to do you want? Are you hungry? Are you sleepy? I'll use the words she uses to indicate sleep and hunger but ill talk normally otherwise.. and she tries her best to answer lol :)

I sing to her alot. I sing poems. . Lullabys, I sing some specific poems when she's eating and believe me as soon as I start those she opens her mouth lol.. she has conditioned that way. I recite quran in ayats while putting her to sleep. Basically I'm talking/singing continuously. And I encourage her dad to do the same. . And we maintain the no tutlana rule.

Screen time plays alot of importance in babies speech and brain development. I have limit her screen time to around one hour. And even in that time I don't let her sit blankly and watch TV, I ask her what's happening, what the cat doing. .? Wow so many colours etc. So that it becomes engaging for her. Since I live alone.. I couldn't do the zero screen time which in my humble opinion is also impractical nowadays.. but yes limit it to the least possible.. before you little one turns 2 years old.

I encourage her to repeat words like mamma baba.. by repeating them over and over again. I refer to my husband as baba and talk to her and he does the same.. referring to me as mama. The baby forms association like this.

I teach her clapping and waving by doing the action and saying the word.. so that she associates the action with the word. And when I repeat the word/phrase she starts doing the action.

Remember till 2 years your babies mind is like a sponge, absorbing everything it can around itself. Teach, spend time, talk and play... and keep the running commentary going. :)
Hoping this post helped you guys in some way.
Did I miss something? Have suggestions? Please leave a comment or email me at aban.najam@gmail.com.
Lots of love to your munchkins.
Happy mommying!
Regards,
Dr. Mom Chef xx

P.s. If you feel your baby is lacking, and doesn't babble or say a few words by 2 years of age. Please consult a speech therapist. The sooner.. The better. And no harm in getting checked right? If anything, it'll give you peace of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment