Monday 7 March 2016

Mommy Mondays! : The secret to long night sleep.

Hello to all the mommies out there... :) and other readers.
Today is the first ever MOMMY MONDAYS on my blog, and so for this special day I thought to share about something which means alot to mommies... SLEEP!
Alhamdulilaah Abiha is an overall calm baby but the best part about her is that she has a proper bed time and sleeps mostly throughout the night except for couple of off days where she gets up for feeds only :)
Those of you who are fortunate enough to be blessed with mommy hood would agree that there is no alternate for "raat ki neend" in fact any sleep for a couple of hours without any interruption is the most luxurious thing.
Like most of the babies the first couple of months were the most tough. . But it is in these months that you prepare your baby's routine.
The most important advice my mom gave me during the post partum period was "set up a bedtime routine for Abiha".
And that's exactly what I did. Here is how you go about it:
1) set up a time in your mind that you want your baby to sleep by... For e.g I wanted Abiha to sleep by 11-11.30.
2) 30-45 minutes before your set time.. start prepping up your little one. I changed Abihas diaper, changed her into pj's, massaged with baby lotion.. and then fed her.
3) be consistent in the routine.. it'll take some time but then your baby would associate the routine with sleeping time.
4) after feeding and all... put her in her sleeping place (crib or beside you) don't rock or pat unless they cry alot... ignore the small whining and try not to make eye contact. If you can lie with them.. and decrease the lights in the room.
5) keep at it... it'll take sometime but inshaALLAH with all the hard work. . Your baby will be sleep trained.
Initially they need to be fed early so you'll mostly get 3-4 hours of uninterrupted sleep. But as they get older you can get upto 7-8 hours if you're lucky. :D
Also daytime naps would be less with this schedule but at least you get uninterrupted night time sleep!
Hopefully these tips and tricks work out for you... Like they did for me :)
Here's to all the hard work and struggles us moms go through.
Hang in there!
Regards,
Dr. Mom Chef xx

P.s. start working on it from the start. I started the routine from first week. Initially it looks like it's all for nothing but a month or two in. .. you'll start noticing the changes inshaALLAH :)

5 comments:

  1. (Y). I do same with my daughter n it's really helpful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't u think 11 to 1130 is too late time for baby, as whatever I read about sleep training the most emphasize is early to bed. Babies under 6 months need 14 hours of sleep in nite and 4 hours in day time. Well I don't mean to offend you but I m asking as I m getting confused. I have twins who is going to turn 6 months and yes first leg of thier sleep in nite is longer then rest like 4 to 5 hours then they wake up every 2 to 3 hours for feed. Now if I put them in bed by 11 they will sleep till 4 but they thier nap routine would be massed up. �������� what to do??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Riffat thank you for your comment :) the set time is entirely up to you... I have set her up at 11ish as I live alone.. and I have to go out sometimes and so have no option of leaving her with someone. Also since she sleeps 12 hours at night it suits me perfectly as she gets up with me around 11 am in the morning then throughout the day naps a little.
      You can very well follow this routine and set the bed time according to what suits you like 7 or 9 pm. Just make sure the baby doesn't nap 2-3 hours before the assigned bedtime.
      Hope this helps :) xx

      Delete
  3. Oh and babies around 6-8 months need an average of 11 hours uninterrupted sleep with around 3-4 hours of naps distributed throughout the day :).. she is almost 8 months and easily takes this many sleep hours. As she grew up her naps have decreased but the night time sleep is the same, Thank God :D

    ReplyDelete