Thursday 3 March 2016

Easiest, no - bake Banoffee pie!

I wanted to make our very first TASTY THURSDAYS extra special. So, I'll be sharing one of my very own recipe for which I'm considered something of an expert :D
In my two years of marriage and since I took the charge of cooking I can not recall how many times I have made Banoffee Pie. It's like a default dessert present at countless dawats, family dinners and even made on requests.
And when you have tons of dawats to cater to... you need one totally reliable and safe dessert which is also easy to make and requires minimal time.
In order to perfect it I have tried the baked variety, the dulche de leche variety and even the butter cookies base variety. But this recipe.. THIS is perfection in every way.
The ingredients along with method is below. I have also added some FAQs so you guys have no problems hopefully.
Waiting for you all to try this and give me feedback.
Cook away...
Regards,
Dr. Mom Chef xx

Recipe is as follows :

1st layer (bottom layer):
-1 pack of digestives(250g) crushed finely but not made into powder.
-1/2 cup butter
-> add melted butter to crushed biscuits.. press as a layer in the dish you'll serve in. Smooth it out and pop it in the fridge to chill for at least 1-2 hours.

2nd layer (lower middle layer):
- add sliced bananas to the biscuit layer. The quantity depends on you, but around 4-5 medium sized bananas would be good.

3rd layer (upper middle layer):
I made my own caramel sauce :D
-1/2 cup butter
-1 cup brown sugar
-1/2 pack cream
-> melt butter.. add sugar.. melt it. Add cream. Keep stirring until everything comes together and mixes. Keep removing from heat so it doesn't burn and keep stirring.. Once it thickens and gets sticky (I check with fingers but CAUTION: it's very HOT). Remove from heat and let it cool. Then add it over the bananas.

4th layer (topmost layer):
Beat cream remaining half pack plus 1 more =1.5 packs (chilled in freezer) in a container (also chilled in the freezer). If you can, put the beater in freezer to.
15-20 min in the freezer would be enough.  I was surprised just how airy it got.. so light and fluffy. If you can find whipping cream, then nothing better. Spread it onto the caramel layer.

Garnish: sprinkle cocoa powder, or grated chocolate on top. Serve chilled.

FAQs:
1) You can use salted or unsalted butter, won't make any difference.
2) Digestive biscuits give the desired result, I won't advice using any other biscuits.
3) I have been asked multiple times that the biscuit layer gets hard, hasn't happened with me but the trick is it has to be a bit firm so you can easily cut it. But if it gets too hard, you can avoid it by not compressing the biscuit layer alot in the dish, also you can add a little more butter.

If there are any more questions, feel free to ask away. :)

DISCLAIMER: The picture (s) used are mine only and not permitted to be copied or used elsewhere.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I've come across the method of making caramel sauce by cooking a tin of condensed milk in hot water, would love to try this method too, what sort of cream did you use, could you share the brand name

    ReplyDelete