Thursday 3 March 2016

Karachi and Lahore: What I wish they learn from each other!

Hello to all my readers,
Today is general blog day on Ramblings of Dr. Mom Chef and I chose a topic which is very near to my heart.
Born and raised in Karachi, it obviously holds a very special place in my life. For me it is comfort, it is stability, it is HOME.
Married into another city and the first thing that hits you is the distance from everything you once called home... The city, the people, the familiarity and most importantly your family.
It gets so much more hard for the girl, who does not only have to leave her family but also the whole place she grew up in... The whole environment.
The first few months of my marriage, I faced all of this, not only I was away from my family and basically everyone I knew... I was in a completely different city with a completely different environment.
Two years down the road... Lahore has a special place in my heart. The welcoming feel... The good attitudes.. The peace and quiet. . This is home now. :)
After I got over the stark differences between the cities and settled into my routine.. I began to notice just how different the people living in these cities behave. From the way they go about their daily routines to how they generally are... There is so much difference it's not even funny.
Yes culture plays a part... ethnicity plays a part... but what I'm talking about is something different.
Karachi being a major city, has turned its residents into people who want to get over the day and survive. The crime rate has turned people weary and unsure of each other. The crazy busy routine leave the people with little or no time for things that matter the most, like Family! On the contrary Lahore being a calm, smaller city with low crime rate and easy life has all of this.
What I wish Karachi learns from Lahore is;
Slowing it down... life is not a task to get over with... enjoy every day as it happens.
Calm down.. though it seems so, but nobody is out to get you, a little empathy will get you a long way.
Patience.. in Karachi time means money.. but a little patience is all you need to get things going. Relax... breathe.
Lahore on the other hand... my sweet slow paced city.. gets a little too slow paced for me sometimes. The things I wish Lahore learned from Karachi;
Get up and get it done attitude... The totally laid back attitude can become a little frustrating sometimes. . Especially for someone who comes from a city that never sleeps. Lahore needs to quicken the pace a bit.
Standing up for one's self... This one hits me pretty close. In Karachi people know their rights and they go to extremes to get them.. In Lahore the feel I get is... They don't care, lol :p for example if the electricity is gone for 12 hours... They are okay with it.. jab ana hai ajaegi.. While if the same thing happened in Karachi, I'm sure lots of tyres would have been burnt, people would have come out on the streets and what not. Yes, both are extremes but Lahore needs to stand up for itself where need be because unfortunately in our country, the higher authorities start taking such people for granted.. exactly what's happening to Lahore nowadays.
Both the cities are extremely near and dear to me... and I am constantly asked which I find better, to which I start giving out the positives of both. It's impossible to choose... They are like my babies. And just like two individuals they need to learn things from each other to better themselves.
I am a very patriotic person and the state of the county really hurts me. Its time for us to come together not as punjabis pathans. . But as Pakistanis. Forget the differences.. learn from each other. . It is not a competition.
Here's hoping to a Better, Successful and Powerful Pakistan.
More power to you all,
Regards,
Dr. Mom Chef xx

No comments:

Post a Comment